Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Curve Balls

So, as I looked at my week yesterday, it was looking pretty nice! There were not a lot of EXTRA things going on other than the normal CPCC classes for Chelsey. That meant that I would be able to just be home a bit more and do some things that I need to get done. THEN, God throws me a curve ball! I know that things often pop up unexpectedly....that's my curve ball! The question then becomes.....here comes the curve ball, how are you going to handle it? So this morning as I was thinking about the curve ball I had been thrown, I realized that even though I didn't verbalize my response, the response was still in my head and in my heart. Basically it was a quiet little tantrum because I was going to have to do something that I didn't really want to do at all. Was there ever any question that I had a choice in how to respond? Well, yes there was, but it was rather lop-sided. I really had to respond only one way. Last night, in my heart it was more just a resignation that, yes, I have to do this even though I'd rather not. This morning, by God's grace, I am able to see that it is an opportunity. I want to remember that throughout the day....because I know my mind will go back to what I'd rather be doing. But God has something for Him that I need to be doing. So I want to be looking throughout the day as I make this road trip to Spartanburg for the opportunities that may be there from the Lord. It may be nothing more than what has already occurred in my heart, and I can rejoice in that. But if there is more, I sure don't want to miss it!

2 comments:

Marge said...

Thanks for sharing this, Robin. How kind of Him to show you these things so that you can make the trip with a heart at rest. I don't like having my plans interrupted either. Those are the times that my heart is really exposed. Steve often has to remind me of Who is in control when things seems to go awry. "I guess that's what the Lord wanted us to be doing tonight," he reminded me a week or so ago when I expressed anger at having to spend a much longer time than we had anticipated returning and picking up items at Walmart. I often think about something that I learned from Jane: It changes everything when you look to the Lord. I can go from stewing in anger to rejoicing in a split second by remembering that God is sovereignly ordering every detail of my day. Seeing those interruptions as opportunities to trust and glorify God completely changes my outlook. It's a choice I make. As Mickey said, "Daily choices are the stuff that life is made of." Choosing to trust and obey brings peace and joy; choosing to resist and complain only brings grief to me and everybody around me. The better choice is obvious, isn't it? But only God's grace enables me to make the right choice. When I do, He is pleased and my heart is at peace and full of joy. How good He is!

Robin said...

Amen to that!!! Thanks for the encouragement! Yesterday went wonderfully, and I still got home in time to have date night with Gene! God is good! Though the things that I wanted to do here didn't get accomplished, there are all sorts of things that did.... mostly relationally than just practical things. I know that by putting aside my preferences, that the Lord was actually honored in that, and I was the recipient of His grace throughout the day. How can I even think of complaining about that! So thanks!